keep a lid onidiom
Definition of keep a lid on
1 : to keep (something secret) from being known She tried to keep a lid on the news.
2 : to control (something) : to keep (something) from becoming worse The government has been unable to keep a lid on inflation.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game