keep (someone or something) goingidiom
Definition of keep (someone or something) going
1 : to make (someone) able to continue doing something at a difficult time I don't know what keeps her going after all these years. Their grandson is the only thing keeping them going.
2 : to cause (something) to continue to exist or function They tried everything they could think of to keep the business going. He kept the conversation going.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game