keep (someone or something) at arm's lengthidiom
Definition of keep (someone or something) at arm's length
: to avoid being very close to or friendly with someone or something Since going to college, he has kept his old friends at arm's length. They no longer trust her and are keeping her at arm's length.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game