keep (someone or something) at arm's lengthidiom
Definition of keep (someone or something) at arm's length
: to avoid being very close to or friendly with someone or something Since going to college, he has kept his old friends at arm's length. They no longer trust her and are keeping her at arm's length.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game