variants: or less commonly ketjak
Definition of kecak
: a Balinese dance and rhythmic chant depicting the battle from the Hindu epic Ramayana in which the god Rama fights the demonic King Ravana with the help of the monkey god Hanuman The kecak became a performance by men playing the part of an army of monkeys that helps Prince Rama rescue Princess Sita … — J. S. Eades, translation of Shinji Yamashita, Bali and Beyond, 2003
— called also Ramayana monkey chant
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game