variants: or less commonly caingin or caiñgin \ käˈēŋə̇n \
Definition of kaingin
(Entry 1 of 2)
: swidden some lonely farmer hewing out a kaingin in the jungle— Wallace Stegner
variants: or less commonly caingin or caiñgin
Definition of kaingin (Entry 2 of 2)
: employing a technique of clearing land by slashing and burning underbrush and trees and plowing the ashes under for fertilizer well-known kaingin system which has been enormously destructive of valuable timber— A. L. Kroeber
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game