jump onphrasal verb
jumped on; jumping on; jumps on
Definition of jump on
1 : to become very angry at (someone) : to angrily criticize or shout at (someone) The teacher jumped on us for being late. The coach jumped on him for not playing hard enough.
2 : to strongly attack or criticize (something) She was quick to jump on her rival's poor record as governor.
3 : to get on (a train, bus, etc.) He jumped on a plane and headed home.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game