jump onphrasal verb
Definition of jump on
1 : to become very angry at (someone) : to angrily criticize or shout at (someone) The teacher jumped on us for being late. The coach jumped on him for not playing hard enough.
2 : to strongly attack or criticize (something) She was quick to jump on her rival's poor record as governor.
3 : to get on (a train, bus, etc.) He jumped on a plane and headed home.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game