Definition of jacquard
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a fabric of intricate variegated weave or pattern
2a : the control mechanism of a Jacquard loom
b : jacquard loom
Definition of Jacquard (Entry 2 of 2)
Joseph-Marie 1752–1834 French inventor
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game