ixnayed; ixnaying; ixnays
Definition of ixnay
(Entry 1 of 2)
Definition of ixnay (Entry 2 of 2)
informal : no, nix —used to express disagreement or the withholding of permission "I'm leaving on the four o'clock train. I'm too tired to drive." "Maybe I oughta go with you?" "Ixnay."— Mordecai Richler —often used with on The finger is pointed at Congress: Ixnay on income-supplementing "honoraria." This may be cross-institution sniping, but fits the ethical rule that no public official should serve a private master.— William Safire
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?