iso·etes | \ īˈsōəˌtēz\
Definition of isoetes
1 capitalized : a large widely distributed genus (coextensive with the family Isoetaceae) of fern allies comprising the aquatic or marsh-growing quillworts that have a short buried lobed stem from which arises a tuft of quilt-shaped leaves bearing sporangia in their axils — see isoetales
2 plural isoetes : any plant of the genus Isoetes : quillwort sense 1
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game