irrelevant

adjective
ir·rel·e·vant | \ i-ˈre-lə-vənt \

Definition of irrelevant 

: not relevant : inapplicable that statement is irrelevant to your argument

Keep scrolling for more

Other words from irrelevant

irrelevantly adverb

Examples of irrelevant in a Sentence

His comment is completely irrelevant. irrelevant questions that merely disrupted the classroom lesson

Recent Examples on the Web

The reactions to the Tiger-Phil $10 million match can generally be split into two categories: about 80% expressed excitement, while the other 20% were people talking about how irrelevant this match is and how washed up both Tiger and Phil are. Daniel Rapaport, SI.com, "FORE Questions: Breaking Down the New PGA Tour Schedule," 12 July 2018 What’s striking, in the maybe-romance of these maybe-strangers, is that those questions are pretty much irrelevant to the story itself. Megan Garber, The Atlantic, "#PlaneBae and the Slow Death of Whimsy," 6 July 2018 The arguments for each side never have changed, and the debate was basically irrelevant because NL owners never came close to wavering from their traditionalist stance. Paul Sullivan, chicagotribune.com, "To DH or not to DH? Baseball's never-ending debate starts anew," 16 June 2018 Healing might even be slower when patients find out about abnormal imaging results, even if those results are clinically irrelevant. Emily Sohn, Washington Post, "Even if a medical test shows an abnormality, you may not need to worry about it," 3 June 2018 In other cases, a violent act might be carried out by someone who was indeed Muslim—but their faith is actually irrelevant to it. H.a. Hellyer, Time, "The Mali 'Spider-Man' Was Offered French Citizenship. What About the Muslim Migrants Who Aren't Superheroes?," 30 May 2018 Those issues are simply irrelevant to what markets will produce. Barry Ritholtz, latimes.com, "The markets don't care about your wants or needs," 19 May 2018 The vote in 2016 showed how irrelevant ideas are to winning elections. The Economist, "Democrats have plenty of anger, but few good ideas," 17 May 2018 Everyone else’s opinion is fundamentally irrelevant. Julie Mazziotta, PEOPLE.com, "Shahs of Sunset's Mercedes Javid Posts Naked Selfie to Promote Women's Empowerment: 'We WOMEN Are Standing Up'," 8 May 2018

These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'irrelevant.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.

See More

First Known Use of irrelevant

1786, in the meaning defined above

Keep scrolling for more

Learn More about irrelevant

Share irrelevant

Statistics for irrelevant

Last Updated

21 Sep 2018

Look-up Popularity

Time Traveler for irrelevant

The first known use of irrelevant was in 1786

See more words from the same year

Keep scrolling for more

More Definitions for irrelevant

irrelevant

adjective

English Language Learners Definition of irrelevant

: not important or relating to what is being discussed right now : not relevant

irrelevant

adjective
ir·rel·e·vant | \ i-ˈre-lə-vənt \

Kids Definition of irrelevant

: having no importance or relation to what is being considered What's that got to do with it? That's irrelevant.

irrelevant

adjective
ir·rel·e·vant | \ ir-ˈre-lə-vənt \

Legal Definition of irrelevant 

: not relevant : not applicable or pertinent irrelevant allegations irrelevant evidence — compare immaterial

Other words from irrelevant

irrelevantly adverb

Keep scrolling for more

Comments on irrelevant

What made you want to look up irrelevant? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).

WORD OF THE DAY

by word of mouth

Get Word of the Day daily email!

Test Your Vocabulary

Name that Food Quiz

True or False

Test your knowledge - and maybe learn something along the way.

TAKE THE QUIZ
Dictionary Devil

Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way.

TAKE THE QUIZ

Love words? Need even more definitions?

Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free!