Definition of ionization
1 : the act or process of ionizing something : conversion of a substance into ions Then other photons, collisions or an electric field cause ionization of the excited neutral species.— G. Samuel Hurst and Vladilen S. Letokhov
2 : the state of being ionized While the light flashes themselves are not harmful, the tissue ionization caused by the intruding particle near the end of its track is indeed deadly to some affected cells.— James D. Burke
Keep scrolling for more
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game