Definition of ionic displacement
: the occurrence in iambic meter of a pyrrhic foot followed or sometimes preceded by a spondaic foot that together create an ionic cadence (as in the third and fourth feet in Shakespeare's line “when to the sessions of sweet silent thought” óo|oó|oo|óó|oó)
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?