Definition of insist on/upon
1 : to say or show that one believes that something is necessary or very important My source insisted on anonymity. She insists on doing everything her own way.
2 informal : to continue doing (something that other people think is annoying or unimportant) The people sitting next to us insisted on talking during the entire movie.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?