Definition of in/into gear
of a vehicle
: having the lever that controls the gears in a position that allows the vehicle to begin moving Don't leave the car in gear in the driveway. He put the car in/into gear and drove away.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game