in the neighborhood ofidiom
Definition of in the neighborhood of
1 : close to (a place) An earthquake was reported somewhere in the neighborhood of Los Angeles.
2 : close to or around (an amount) : about The album sold in the neighborhood of 1,000 copies. A house like this costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $200,000.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game