in the cold light of dayidiom
Definition of in the cold light of day
: in the day when things can be seen clearly rather than at night The house that had looked so sinister at night seemed much less frightening in the cold light of day. —sometimes used figuratively She forced me to look at myself in the cold light of day, and I didn't like what I saw.
to form ideas or theories about something
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game