in someone's/something's nameidiom
Definition of in someone's/something's name
1 —used to say that something officially or legally belongs to a specified person The business is registered in her husband's name for tax purposes.
2 —used to say that something has or uses the name of a specified person Our reservation at the restaurant is in my name.
3 —used to say that something is done with the authority of a specified person or thing The leader refused to allow such violent acts to be done in his name.
4 —used to say that something is given as the official reason for doing something shortcuts taken in efficiency's name
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game