Definition of in jeopardy
: in a situation in which someone or something is exposed to possible injury, loss, or evil : in danger He is responsible for placing innocent lives in jeopardy. The wrong decision could place your career in (serious) jeopardy. Adverse public opinion puts this proposal in serious jeopardy.
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game