Definition of in earnest
1 : in an earnest or serious way The search began in earnest when the police arrived. After light showers during the day, it began to rain in earnest in the evening. It's hard to tell if he's making this proposal in earnest.
2 : not fooling : serious and sincere We thought he was joking at first, but then we realized that he was in earnest.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game