Definition of in danger
1 : in a situation in which loss of life or serious harm is possible We're still in (grave/great/serious) danger. Their lives are in danger.
2 : in a situation in which something bad or harmful is possible —usually + of She's in danger of failing.We're all in danger of losing our jobs.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game