Definition of if not
1 —used to talk about the negative result or effect of something You should study. If not, you won't pass the test.
2 —used to express surprise about meeting someone when it is not expected So I went to the game and who should I see there if not my old friend Tom!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game