Definition of Iceland
island between the Arctic Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean southeast of Greenland and just south of the Arctic Circle; a republic, formerly (1380–1918) belonging to Denmark, later (1918–44) an independent kingdom in personal union with Denmark; capital Reykjavik area 39,702 square miles (102,828 square kilometers), population 315,556
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game