Definition of Iceland
island between the Arctic Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean southeast of Greenland and just south of the Arctic Circle; a republic, formerly (1380–1918) belonging to Denmark, later (1918–44) an independent kingdom in personal union with Denmark; capital Reykjavik area 39,702 square miles (102,828 square kilometers), population 315,556
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game