variants: or hottentot sea bream
Definition of hottentot seabream
: a marine fish (Pachymetopon blochii) of the family Sparidae that is found in the waters off western South Africa, is bluish-gray with a golden-green sheen above and white below, and that is sometimes fished commercially for food
— called also hottentot
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game