variants: or Hottentot's fig
Definition of Hottentot fig
: a low-growing woody southern African perennial (Carpobrotus edulis) of the family Aizoaceae that has angular stems, opposite succulent leaves united at the base, and large yellow or purplish rose flowers, that is cultivated as a ground cover, and that sometimes occurs as an escape in the southwestern U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game