Definition of holoparasitic
: of, relating to, or being a parasitic plant (such as dodder) that is not capable of photosynthesis and obtains all nutrients and water from a host plant In addition to constituting the only angiosperms lacking leaves, species of Hydnoraceae are further distinguished by being holoparastic plants …— Erika E. Maass, et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?