Definition of hold back (someone or something )
- Once he starts talking, there's no holding him back.
- He was unable to hold back his tears.
- The government held back some crucial information from the media.
- I know you're angry, so don't hold anything back (from me).
- He held several thousand dollars back in case of an emergency.
- The company held back the first shipment of the new product until it was completely ready.
- She might have been more successful, but bad health held her back.
- He was held back in first grade.