Definition of hog plum
1 : a tree of the genus Spondias especially : a tropical American tree (S. mombin) sometimes cultivated for its edible yellow fruits which resemble plums
2 : poison-wood
3 : the Chickasaw plum or other wild plum of the southern U.S.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?