hit/strike pay dirtidiom
Definition of hit/strike pay dirt
chiefly US, informal
: to do, find, or get something that results in money or success The band hit pay dirt with their first single. The police struck pay dirt when a witness came forward with new information.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/15/19
- 'Cliché': We’ve Heard It All Before
- 'Bounty Hunter': A Hollywood Invention
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
Ask the Editors
- Pass the Little Ribbons: A Pasta Word Quiz Take the quiz
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game