hew tophrasal verb
hewed to; hewed to or hewn to; hewing to; hews to
Definition of hew to
: to follow or obey (something) Everyone must hew to the rules/standards. He is a politician who has always hewed closely to the party line.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game