Definition of heroic verse
1 : dactylic hexameter especially of epic verse of classical times
— called also heroic meter
2 : the iambic pentameter used especially in English epic poetry during the 17th and 18th centuries
— called also heroic line, heroic meter
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game