Definition of help oneself
1 : to serve oneself as much food or drink as one would like There's plenty of food, so help yourself. —often + to Help yourself to some dessert.
2 informal : to take something without permission He saw the money lying on the table, and he helped himself. —usually + to He helped himself to the car keys.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game