Definition of help oneself
1 : to serve oneself as much food or drink as one would like There's plenty of food, so help yourself. —often + to Help yourself to some dessert.
2 informal : to take something without permission He saw the money lying on the table, and he helped himself. —usually + to He helped himself to the car keys.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game