hedge one's betsidiom
Definition of hedge one's bets
: to do things that will prevent great loss or failure if future events do not happen as one plans or hopes They decided to hedge their bets by putting half their money in stocks and the other half in bonds.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game