Definition of hedge nettle
: a plant of the genus Stachys: such as
a : a perennial shade-loving Eurasian herb (S. sylvatica) with a green creeping rhizome having a foul odor when crushed
b : a similar plant (S. palustris) with an odorless rhizome that is widespread in moist places in most of the northern hemisphere
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?