Definition of hedge nettle
: a plant of the genus Stachys: such as
a : a perennial shade-loving Eurasian herb (S. sylvatica) with a green creeping rhizome having a foul odor when crushed
b : a similar plant (S. palustris) with an odorless rhizome that is widespread in moist places in most of the northern hemisphere
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game