Definition of heartrot
: any of several rots involving the central part of a plant or plant organ: such as
a : disintegration of the heartwood of a tree (as by fungi of the genus Fomes)
b : a disease of beets and rutabagas caused by a fungus (Mycosphaerella tabifica) that brings about decay of the heart and blighting of the leaves
c : a rot of sugar beets caused by boron deficiency
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?