hear ofphrasal verb
heard of; hearing of; hears of
Definition of hear of
: to be aware of the existence of (someone or something) : to know about (someone or something) He's supposed to be a famous actor, but this is the first time I've ever (even) heard of him. I've never heard of such a thing! If I hear of a job opening, I'll let you know.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game