Definition of hawkish
1 : resembling or suggesting a hawk or the beak of a hawk in appearance a hawkish nose He has a thatch of black curly hair and hawkish features.— Jeff Shear
2 : having a militant attitude (as in a dispute) and advocating immediate vigorous action especially : supporting war or warlike policies a hawkish politician He was a frequent and persistently hawkish participant in the war councils of the Administration. — Vincent Blasi While definitions vary, "neoconservative" generally refers to formerly moderate policy advocates who favor a hawkish and assertive foreign policy to implant democracy and American values abroad. — Paul Richter
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game