Definition of have to say for oneself
—used with words such as something, nothing, much, etc., as to say that someone is able or unable to say something that explains what he or she is doing, has done, etc. I asked him about school, but he didn't have much to say for himself.Your teacher says you were caught cheating. Do you have anything to say for yourself?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game