have to say for oneselfidiom
Definition of have to say for oneself
—used with words such as something, nothing, much, etc., as to say that someone is able or unable to say something that explains what he or she is doing, has done, etc. I asked him about school, but he didn't have much to say for himself.Your teacher says you were caught cheating. Do you have anything to say for yourself?
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?