have a field dayidiom
Definition of have a field day
: to get a lot of pleasure and enjoyment from doing something —used especially to describe getting enjoyment from criticizing someone, making fun of someone, etc. If word of his involvement in this scandal ever leaks out, the newspapers are going to have a field day.Journalists have had a field day with this scandal.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game