have (the) timeidiom
Definition of have (the) time
1 : to be able to use an amount of time required for a particular purpose "Can you go to the store for me?" "I'm sorry, but I don't have time." We're on a deadline, but he acts like we have all the time in the world! —often followed by to + verb Do you have time to look this over for me?I don't have the time to talk right now. —often + for We've got time for a few more questions.I don't have the time or patience for this.
2 : to like or be willing to spend time dealing with (something or someone) —usually + for I have no time for liars.(British) We have a lot of time for her.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game