har·mon·i·chord | \ härˈmänəˌkȯrd\
Definition of harmonichord
: a 19th-century keyboard instrument in which the strings' tones can be sustained and swelled by means of a rotating cylinder that transfers its vibrations to the strings by means of a rod
Keep scrolling for more
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game