har·mon·i·chord | \ härˈmänəˌkȯrd\
Definition of harmonichord
: a 19th-century keyboard instrument in which the strings' tones can be sustained and swelled by means of a rotating cylinder that transfers its vibrations to the strings by means of a rod
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game