variants: or harken back
hearkened back or harkened back; hearkening back or harkening back; hearkens back or harkens back
Definition of hearken back
: to go back to or recall to mind something in the past : hark back —usually used with to This place caters to Americans and hearkens back to days when the town attracted famous celebrities.— Barbara ZaragozaGreenberg worked very closely with the laboratory which harkened back to his earliest days in the film business …— Ron Magid
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game