hand down a decisionidiom
Definition of hand down a decision
of a court
: to officially decide a case by vote On Friday, the Supreme Court handed down a decision upholding the new law. The Court of Appeals handed down a 4–2 decision in favor of the new law.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game