hammer intophrasal verb
hammered into; hammering into; hammers into
Definition of hammer into
: to force (something) to be learned very well by (someone) by repeating it again and again They are constantly trying to hammer good manners into their children. She hammered it into me that I could succeed.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game