half·ling | \ pronunciation at half +lə̇n or liŋ\
variants: or halflin \ -lə̇n \
Definition of halfling
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 chiefly Scottish : a half-grown person
2 chiefly Scottish : half of a silver penny
variants: or halflin \ " \
Definition of halfling (Entry 2 of 2)
: not fully grown : immature
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
- Is 'Cement' 'Concrete'?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game