hack offphrasal verb
hacked off; hacking off; hacks off
Definition of hack off
1 : to cut (something) off in a rough and violent way She used an ax to hack the dead branch off (the tree).
2 informal : to make (someone) angry and annoyed It really hacks me off to see people treated so unfairly.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Moon-Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?