hacked off; hacking off; hacks off
Definition of hack off
1 : to cut (something) off in a rough and violent way She used an ax to hack the dead branch off (the tree).
2 informal : to make (someone) angry and annoyed It really hacks me off to see people treated so unfairly.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game