Definition of groundline
1a : strong hard-laid line that is used to form the main line of a setline and is usually provided in bundles of 300 fathoms weighing 48, 40, or sometimes 32 pounds
b : the main line of a setline consisting of one or more bundles of groundline
2a : the baseline which represents a ground plane in pictures having no indication of spatial depth and upon which all figures and objects are placed irrespective of their real spatial relationship
b : the bottom line of the picture plane of a drawing in linear perspective
c : the bottom line of a photograph
d : the line representing ground level in an architectural plan or drawing
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?