grit one's teethidiom
Definition of grit one's teeth
1 : to press or rub the teeth together He gritted his teeth in anger/pain.
2 : to show courage and determination when dealing with problems or challenges Starting your own business can be very tough, but you just have to grit your teeth and keep working at it.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game