grind downphrasal verb
ground down; grinding down; grinds down
Definition of grind down
1 : to make (something hard) smaller and smoother by gradually rubbing off tiny bits The old dog's teeth had been ground down by use.
2 : to weaken or destroy (someone or something) gradually Poverty ground her spirit down. These people have been ground down by years of oppression.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game