grind awayphrasal verb
Definition of grind away
1 : to work or study in a steady, determined way She was grinding away at her studies.
2 : to remove (a part of something) by rubbing something rough against it He uses a special tool to grind away the stone.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game