grind awayphrasal verb
ground away; grinding away; grinds away
Definition of grind away
1 : to work or study in a steady, determined way She was grinding away at her studies.
2 : to remove (a part of something) by rubbing something rough against it He uses a special tool to grind away the stone.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game